We just discovered that the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation has declared this week Random Acts of Kindness Week and challenged people to celebrate and spread kindness! We at BCYMP encourage those in Brookings to participate. We live in such a wonderful community so let’s really make it shine this week by spreading kindness. You can also celebrate by choosing someone who encourages you to be a better person, snap a photo with them, and post it on RAK’s website.(https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/rak-week)
Below are some ideas for random acts of kindness, but there are so many other things you can do to make this world a little better. Remember that kindness is never wasted!
1. Smile at someone, just because.
2. Write someone a letter. Like a real letter, on paper. And mail it!
3. When you go somewhere to get or do something, ask the people around you if you can pick up anything they need.
4. Pay for the person behind you in line’s coffee or drive-through meal.
5. Put sticky notes with positive messages on the mirrors in restrooms.
6. Bring someone a coffee or any treat they’d like just because.
7. Really listen to someone.
8. Purchase some extra dog or cat food and drop it off at the Humane Society.
9. Help someone struggling with heavy bags.
10. Put change in a vending machine and leave it for the next person who needs a snack.
11. Pick up litter.
12. Hold the door.
13. Write a thank you note to someone who is underappreciated.
14. Shovel for a neighbor.
15. Donate food to the food pantry.
16. Buy extra school supplies for your classroom
17. Invite someone new to play with you at recess.
18. Ask someone about his or her day while waiting in line.
19. Compliment someone in front of others (hopefully the others will “catch the kindness”)
20. Donate clothes or toys you don’t need anymore.
21. Bake something for a neighbor, a teacher, or someone else in your life.
22. Do someone else’s chores to lighten their load.
23. Tell a server how good their service was (and leave a good tip!)
24. Leave sweet, motivational notes in library books.
25. Make a homemade gift for someone.
26. Donate your time and/or talents (walk a dog at the Humane Society, sing at a nursing home, babysit for someone who needs a night off, serve at a soup kitchen)
27. Let people merge-in during traffic.
28. Forgive someone you’ve been holding a grudge against.
29. Tell someone about a time they made a difference in your life.
30. Send dessert to someone else’s table at dinner.
31. Leave a nice card in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
32. Bring a meal to someone.
33. Call someone just to check in.
34. Leave quarters at a laundromat.
35. Make someone laugh.
36. Send someone at care package.
Wanting to volunteer your time in Brookings to celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Week? You can search for opportunities on Brookings Helpline website.